Dan Cox, a Republican state lawmaker from Frederick, announced that he’s running for Maryland governor on Independence Day.
“On this 4th of July 2021, Valerie [Cox’s wife] and I are announcing that I am stepping up to run to be your next Governor of Maryland to restore Freedom to the Free State.”
“Don’t Stop Believing,” Cox wrote, with an attached link to his campaign website.
Don’t ruin Journey for the rest of us, Delegate Cox.
Maryland’s gubernatorial process is a sacred political tradition reserved for candidates of the highest caliber and credibility.
For this reason, A Miner Detail’s coverage of Dan Cox’s gubernatorial false-start will be delivered in the same vein as a Harry Browne’s happy hour punchline.
Dan Cox’s policy platform
We believe Mr. Cox has no intention of running a credible gubernatorial campaign.
Look no further than his campaign website’s homepage; it reads like Fox & Friends’ 8:00 a.m. A block.
Some of Cox’s gubernatorial priorities include:
“Provide parents with choice of educational opportunities and honor parental rights to end the divisive CRT [Critical Race Theory] and make our schools free from political or ideological indoctrination.”
- “Ensure election integrity forensic audit and protect the People’s right to choose their representatives with one person, one legal vote. I will submit a legislative package to require a valid citizen voter I.D., end unverified mail-in ballots and order a forensic audit of the 2020 election.
“Defend our communities from increased violence by providing the necessary budget for local and state law enforcement to effectively do their jobs. I will support and empower our local Sheriffs, State Police, and Federal partners to remove criminal illegal aliens from our communities.”
And you won’t find but even one original policy goal on Cox’s website, that is, should you dare to click the “Learn More” button at the base of his homepage.
Dan Cox’s best attempt at stringing together a coherent policy platform can be found within his website’s “Our Vision” section.
He enumerates his “legislative accomplishments” as introducing legislation to:
- End the “State of Emergency” and reopen Maryland;
- Ban vaccine passports;
- Demand in-person schooling;
- Provide direct grants to families whose schools were ‘wrongly’ shut down;
- Ensure equal access to healthcare for seniors and all Marylanders at all times, including during Maryland’s ‘so-called state of emergency.’
Now that’s a legislative record that Dan Cox can bank on to elect him Maryland’s 63rd governor.
In reality, Dan Cox is unambiguously pulling script directly from the Donald J. Trump/Marjorie Taylor Greene campaign playbook:
- Appeal to the lowest common denominator within the Republican base;
- Give voice to the dimmest of the dimwits;
- Ignore the growing threat of White Supremecy;
- Appeal to the QAnon cult;
- Perpetuate the Big Lie that the 2020 presidential election was stolen from Donald J. Trump;
- Throw out the emotionally manipulative conservative red meat the Republican base cannot get enough of;
- Blame immigrants for your lot in life;
- Disparage Democrats at Marxists, Communists or whatever economic ideology you fail to understand beyond Sean Hannity’s radio program;
- Denounce Nancy Pelosi and RINOs as unforgivingly evil;
- Mention something about Hunter Biden’s laptop;
- Question President Barack Obama’s birth certificate;
- Rail against Black Lives Matter supporters;
- Extol your Christian values loud and proud;
- Dismiss the media as “fake news:.’
- Blast Hollywood elites;
- Excoriate Dr. Fauci;
- Repeat COVID-19 conspiracies;
- Proclaim mask mandates as unconstitutional;
- File a lawsuit to challenge your governor over mask mandates (lose in court);
- And, by God, loudly and proudly announce your intentions to forgo a vaccination;
- Declare COVID-19 as no worse than a common cold;
- Suggest Kim Klacik as a legitimate candidate for Maryland’s lieutenant governor.
How A Miner Detail intends to cover Dan Cox’s gubernatorial campaign
A Miner Detail in subsequent columns will thoroughly detail Cox’s unapologetic embrace of the disproven and dangerous QAnon conspiracy theory.
This Maryland political blog will report on Dan Cox’s role during the Jan. 6 Capitol insurrection, and we’ll point out his “Pence is a traitor” tweet and the lame apology he issued after facing intense backlash.
And we’ll report again and again on Dan Cox’s fervent belief – an unequivocal lie – that massive election fraud denied Donald J. Trump a second White House term.
A Miner Detail will treat Dan Cox with the same respect he treats the Maryland press corps.
We will not return his phone calls, voicemails, and we will not respond to his emails.
This media outlet has no intention of reaching out to Mr. Cox for comment when publishing stories mentioning him or his campaign.
And we will never give Dan Cox a platform to lie, perpetuate conspiracy theories or make a mockery of a sacred Maryland tradition – a process, we believe, Mr. Cox is undeserving and unqualified to join.