Antifa appeared in Frederick City on Saturday, Dec. 11.
The decentralized left-wing anti-fascist organization is a U.S.-based anti-racist political movement.
Antifa is a loose collection of groups, networks, and individuals who oppose fascism and far-right extremism.
Eric Beasley covered the Saturday-evening protests for A Miner Detail and recorded the events.
About the Frederick City Antifa Protests
A flyer critical of law enforcement was distributed throughout Frederick City before the protestors entered the streets on Saturday evening.
The protests began around 6:00 p.m. Saturday at Laboring Sons Memorial Park.
Laboring Sons Memorial park is within a Frederick City residential neighborhood.
Twenty or fewer people wearing black clothing and facial coverings left the park and traveled down 6th street.
Protestors then headed west.
Two of the demonstrators used bullhorns during the protest, while another pulled a cart behind them as they walked through the streets.
Another protestor carried a stereo that played music.
They used various rallying cries as they walked through the streets, bringing onlookers out of their homes.
A few onlookers heckled the Antifa protestors as they followed alongside them.
The protestors were heard shouting:
- “Out of your houses [homes], into the streets.”
- “F*** Sheriff [Chuck] Jenkins.”
- “If we don’t get no justice, you don’t get no peace.”
- “Brick by brick, wall by wall. Tear down the prisons and free them all. “
- “What do we want? Justice. When do we want it? Now. If we don’t get it, burn it down.”
- “A-C-A-B. All Cops Are Bastards.”
- “These racist pigs have got to go. “
- “No Chuck. No KKK. No Fascist. USA. “
- “Fire Killer Cops. “
Antifa Protestors Target Frederick City Alderwoman Kelly Russell’s Home
The Antifa protestors arrived at Frederick City Alderwoman Kelly Russell’s private residence shortly before 7:00 p.m.
Russell’s home is within a residential area between Hood College and Baker Park.
The alderwoman stepped outside, sat on her front stoop, and listened as protesters shouted complaints at her, ranging from:
- “Get out of here, you f****** Nazi. I know who your wife is.”
- “Why are we here? Because Kelly Russell lives in a half-million-dollar home.”
- “Fire. Fire. Gentrifier.”
- Spending $6 million on the police department, instead of helping homeless people.”
- “Give him a sandwich. Go into your house and make him a sandwich.”
- “Neighbors and friends of Kelly Russell. We will be here as long as she keeps giving money to police and taking it away from our city.”
- “Instead of jerking off the Fraternal Order of Police for giving you a nomination.”
- “Why does a retired cop live in a half-million-dollar home? I can only imagine the s*** you’ve done.”
- “Did you pull yourself up by your bootstraps, you piece of shit?”
AM 930 WFMD’s Ryan Hedrick also clashed with the Antifa protestors.
Video of Hedrick’s altercation with Frederick City Antifa protestors is here.
Protestors Burn Confederate Flag In Front Of Alderwoman Russell’s Home
Shortly after 7:00 p.m. Saturday, Antifa protesters lit a Confederate flag on fire as they stood in front of Russell’s home.
Russell left her front stoop and extinguished the burning flag with a traffic cone when protestors eventually left her street.
The protestors subsequently traveled to Baker Park, past the Frederick City Armory.
Their rhetoric changed slightly.
Protestors were heard shouting:
- “We got the guillotine; you’re gonna roll.”
- “We got the guillotine; you better run.”
- “F*** your god damn noise ordinance.”
- “No one’s illegal on stolen land.”
The protesters continued into downtown Frederick City, shutting down the Market and 2nd Street intersection.
Observers began interacting with the protestors.
Frederick City Police made no arrests.
The Frederick News-Post also reported on the Dec. 11 Frederick City Antifa protests.